Big Apple Soccer had some quotes on Thursday about Mike Grella, who is currently training with the Cosmos at Hofstra. Gio Savarese confirmed that the Glen Cove native was simply getting fit, while his agent noted that he's in no rush to make a decision despite interest from Sweden.
While Savarese didn't go into much detail on how Grella has looked thus far, he also didn't rule out the idea of trying to keep him around for the season. The player is currently out of contract, so it certainly seem plausible if both parties are interested.
Grella was a two-time Parade High School All-American, and was also an All-American in 2008 at Duke. After being drafted in the third round of the MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC, but opted to start his professional career in Europe instead. His stops overseas include Leeds, Carlisle, Swindon Town, Brentford, Bury, Scunthorpe, and Viborg.
The right-footed attacker can play just about anywhere up front, and Savarese has been adding options to the attack this offseason. The club has already signed both Hans Denissen and Mads Stokkelien, as well as being connected to Real Madrid legend Raul. Assuming Grella impresses the Cosmos' coach, he'd seem to fit right in with the type of players that the club has been targeting.
- Messing Around: Indy Eleven lose preseason opener, MLS and David Beckham move to Miami
- Denissen hopes to make the Cosmos scary as preseason training get underway
- Fans of the Cosmos and Red Bulls help NYCFC design their new crest
- Preseason training is underway for the New York Cosmos
- Danny Szetela's return to the Cosmos should provide the foundation for another title push